It's State Fair Season! Come along!
We had the distinct pleasure of participating once again in the Wegman's Test Kitchen at the Great New York State Fair (thank you, Mark Pawliw at Farm to Fork 101)! This year, Executive Chef Christian Ives and Mixologist Mark Harrienger, both of the amazing St. Lawrence Spirits Chateau, Clayton, NY, took up our challenge to create an amazing menu showcasing Zoar Tapatree Whole Maple syrups. Suffice it to say that they knocked it out of the park! Check out the menu and recipes, then try these at home!
Zoar Tapatree Artisanal Whole Maple™ Syrups Presents:
River to Forest Brunch: Celebrating the North Country
Executive Chef Christian Ives, Saint Lawrence Spirits Château
Mixologist Mark Harrienger, Saint Lawrence Spirits Château
tapatree.com | saintlawrencespirits.com
The offering: Savory Crepe: Tapatree Whole Maple™ Cured Salmon with Old Chatham Ewe’s Blue Crema, drizzled with Tapatree Whole Maple™ Batched Syrup
Cocktail of choice! Nor’easter Ginger Beer
Maple Tree Sour
*Note that the salmon is easy, but needs to be started at least a day ahead. Same with the batter for the crepes--get those babies sitting the day before!
MAPLE CURED SALMON
1# Fresh Salmon
1c. Kosher Salt
.25c. Zoar Tapatree Whole Maple™ Syrup (Batch 23D: Dark praline w. molasses & dried fruit notes)
1Tbsp Cracked Black Pepper
1. Remove any small bones from salmon; and trim thinner sections such as the belly. The thinner sections will cure much faster and become overly salty.
2. Combine the salt, Tapatree Whole Maple™ syrup & cracked black pepper.
3. Lay out a sheet of aluminum foil and spread half of the salt mixture down.
4. Place the salmon skin side down on the mixture; cover the top with the remaining salt mixture.
5. Wrap tightly and place in refrigerator for 24 hours. For a harder cure wait 48 hours.
6. Remove from packing and lightly rinse the salt mixture from the salmon.
1c. Flour 1.5c. Whole Milk
2u. Large Eggs 2 Tbsp. Melted Unsalted Butter
1Tbsp. Sugar 1tsp. Chopped Rosemary
.25tsp. Kosher Salt 1tsp. Chopped Thyme
1. Combine the flour and eggs and mix till thoroughly blended.
2. Gradually whisk in the milk.
3. Add salt, sugar & herbs.
4. Allow batter to rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
5. Coat a non-stick pan with the melted butter.
6. Once pan is hot add a quarter cup of the batter and cook until edges lightly brown and flip the crepe.
7. Remove crepe from pan and set aside while remaining crepes are prepared.
OLD CHATHAM EWE’S BLEU CREMA
1c. Heavy Cream 1tsp. Minced Garlic
.5c. Old Chatham Ewe’s Bleu Cheese 1tsp. Minced Shallot
.5tsp. Kosher Salt 1Tbsp. Olive Oil
1tsp. Cracked Black Pepper
1. In a small saucepan add the olive oil & place burner on medium heat. (Continued)
2. Add the garlic & shallot to hot pan & sauté ‘til shallots are translucent and garlic is lightly browned.
3. Deglaze pan with the heavy cream.
4. Add salt & pepper and reduce cream by half.
5. Once cream is reduced lower the heat & whisk in the bleu cheese.
6. Reduce cream mixture until thickened & set in the refrigerator overnight.
ASSEMBLING THE CREPES Serve hot or cold, to your preference.
.25c. Melted Butter
1. Place crepes on a flat surface and spread 2 Tbsp. of the bleu cheese crema on each crepe.
2. Layer the sliced salmon on each crepe (approximately 3-4 slices per crepe). Leave 1-2 slices per crepe aside for plating.
3. Roll the crepes lightly and set aside.
4. Place melted butter in a non-stick pan and heat.
5. Once the pan is ready, place the crepes in pan one at a time and brown lightly, flipping when the first side is done.
6. Spread a Tbsp of the bleu cheese crema on a plate and place a crepe on top. Roll the remaining slices into a flower pattern and use to garnish plate.
7. Drizzle Zoar Tapatree Whole Maple™ Syrup (33D: Bright dark raisin & dried cherry, hints of dark chocolate, molasses and spiced rum) over the crepe and serve.
Optional: Dress microgreens with 1 Tbsp. Zoar Tapatree Whole Maple™ Syrup (33D) mixed with 1 tsp. soy sauce. Garnish plate.
2 oz Saint Lawrence Spirits Rye Knot Whiskey
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Zoar Tapatree Whole Maple™ Syrup (6D: Toffee taffy with a finishing note of fresh orange. Celestial Batch: Full Moon.)
6 d Aromatic Bitters
Ginger Beer Maple Tree Sour
2 oz Saint Lawrence Spirits Captain’s Flask Bourbon
1 Egg White
1 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Zoar Tapatree Whole Maple™ Syrup (20D: mélange of coffee with cream, dates and allspice.)
3 d Angostura Bitters
Tapatree Whole Maple Lemonade
1 oz. Zoar Tapatree Whole Maple™ Syrup (16D: Classic honey-vanilla, oats & caramel-butterscotch.)
2 oz. Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
4 oz. Fresh Spring Water
Sprig of Rosemary or Mint to Infuse